Dave M. Strom Resume
Technical Writer, Video Shorts Creator, Mobile Enthusiast
San Mateo, CA
*** Objective ***
Position involving writing and software, video, and/or mobile. Skilled as a technical writer with a programming background, creative as a video creator and writer, strong interest in mobile and video.
*** Technical Writing Summary ***
Design and write development guides, user guides, tutorials, and application programming interface guides. Work well with engineers. Write code samples. Design manual specifications, research technical information, test applications, and prepare manuals for production.
- Experience: 15 years as a technical writer, 7 years as a software programmer.
- Wrote the API reference and updated the programmer development documentation for a Ruby-based mobile device cross-compiler and Eclipse-based IDE.
- Wrote tutorials for www.macinstruct.com related to digital video and photos.
- Designed, wrote, and prepared for production a 250 page programming, API, and user manual set; updated the manuals as the product morphed into PeopleSoft's start of no-code-on-the-client architecture.
- Updated a system administrator guide for Red Pepper Software under very tight deadlines.
- Operating Systems: Macintosh OS X, Windows, Android, iOS
- Documentation Tools: Word, Arbortext, FrameMaker, Markdown, Javadoc, IntelliJ, WordPress
- LinkedIn profile: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/david-strom/0/236/620
*** Mobile, Video, and Creative Summary ***
- Eclipse/Android and Xcode/iOS IDEs on my MacBook Pro, own an iPad and an Android phone.
- Beta-tested Storyist for iPad. Mobile early adopter with an Apple Newton and Ricochet modem.
- Was vice president of former Stanford Macintosh User Group.
- Completed a class for television production at KMVT, Mountain View.
- Skilled in Final Cut Express, iMovie. Created videos (shoot, write, edit) about a Survivorman satire, loud movie trailers, Hope in a Can, and a film noir version of The DaVinci Code.
- In Cinemasports, created 3-minute videos in one day on a team. That's a deadline.
- Maintain my YouTube website: http://www.youtube.com/user/davstrom
- Wrote comic book scripts and hired artists to illustrate them. Pros have seen and liked them.
- Writing short stories and a novel. http://davemstrom.wordpress.com/
*** Experience ***
6/2018-4/2019: Contract Technical Writer at Google through Apex Systems. Corrected bugs in Actions on Google documentation. Worked with engineers to redesign documentation sets. Corrected JSON code samples. Narrated the audio for an instructional video. Used Markdown, HTML, Linux.
4/2017-3/2018: Contract Technical Writer at Google ATAP through Apex Systems. Wrote API reference for a simulation project, wrote a configuration guide, was an archive czar (lead team to archive project documentation), wrote a user guide for test software, designed document templates.
2014-2016: Contracting Technical Writer, Hazelcast, Palo Alto, CA. Copyedited a reference manual and Javadoc (with IntelliJ) for Hazelcast's In-Memory Data Grid product. Wrote some short use case text for the website. Read Java, used Javadoc.
2013-2014: Contracting Technical Writer, Expert Support, Mountain View, CA
- Google: designed and edited Google websites and a small newsletter, wrote some user documentation.
2011-2013: Technical Writer, Motorola Solutions (Rhomobile), San Jose, CA
Wrote API/developer documentation for a Ruby-based mobile device cross-compiler and server; used git, Eclipse-based IDE.
2008: Technical Writer, Equilibrium, Sausalito, CA
Updated programmer, administration, and user guides for online video & media processing software.
2007: Technical Writer & Web Developer, Stottler Henke, San Mateo, CA
Tested simulation software, edited web pages (HTML and Flash), did minor video editing, converted video to different formats. Edited a Flash project to add more timelines, photos, & ActionScript links.
2005: Technical Writer, thegilmartins.com (Prudential California Realty)
Wrote a web-based software user guide for salespeople building business plans and tracking in real time.
2003: Delta Tester, Hewlett-Packard
Tested a 7960 Photosmart printer with Apple iPhoto, and from this testing, helped improve Hewlett-Packard's borderless printing instructions from iPhoto.
1996-2003: Senior Technical Writer, PeopleSoft, Pleasanton, CA
- Wrote application development, programmer, and application programming interface (API) reference guides for PeopleSoft products.
- Main projects: PeopleSoft Optimization Framework, for building applications that use an optimization-based, decision-making capability in the PeopleTools environment; Business Interlink (a 250 page manual set) to connect third party applications to PeopleSoft applications in real time. Designed these manual sets from scratch.
1995-1996: Technical Writer, Red Pepper Software, San Mateo, CA
Updated a system administrator manual (very tight deadlines) and developer manuals for an object-oriented programming language, for a database programming language, for a database, and for installation of the product.
1989-1995: Technical Writer, Comtech Services, Inc., San Jose, CA.
Contracting projects for Novell, Pacific Gas & Electric, Hewlett-Packard, Johnson & Johnson, McGraw-Hill, Octel, Measurex, US WEST Communications, EG&G, Versatec.
1989-1990: Abstract Writer, Med/Lay Publications, Sunnyvale, CA
Wrote abstract of newspaper and magazine articles, and wrote a style guide for writing these abstracts.
1982-1988: Scientific Programmer, Lockheed Missiles and Space, Sunnyvale, CA
Wrote software that converted structured FORTRAN to FORTRAN IV, updated a data display in real time, displayed records in user-specified formats, and simulated a mechanical device and its environment.
1980, 1981: Student Programmer, Mare Island Naval Shipyard, Vallejo, CA
1979: Student Programmer, Litton Mellonics, Sunnyvale, CA
*** Education ***
2008: UC Extension Santa Cruz. AJAX class.
2005: KMVT, Mountain View. Certificate of completion for television production class.
1988-1989: DeAnza College, Cupertino, CA. Tech Writing Certif., C++, UNIX, object-oriented design.
1978-1982: California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, CA. Computer Science.
1974-1978: North Park College at Chicago, IL. BA in Mathematics. GPA 3.5