(Excuse me, Tiny Tim. Another old post from one of my Wordpress blogs.)
I followed the directions at Setting up a Sync API project for the Dropbox Notes example.
This post is slightly wordy, considering that the instructions at the above URL are short and clean. I want to give you a feel of walking though the Setting up. It was a very nice stroll, I must say. I only had one little glitch.
I did not install the Android Developer Tools Bundle, because I recently reinstalled my Eclipse and ADT on my MacBook Pro. I added lots of Android SDKs, especially the 4.0 SDKs. I also created a virtual device for Android 4.0.3.
I created a Dropbox app named Davstrom1 in the Dropbox App Console. Davstrom1 does not have any content in it, I just wanted to see how to get keys for api and secret. (I did try naming the app Notes instead of Davstrom1, but Notes was taken. Naturally.) I think I picked my Davstrom1 app to have app folder permission, same as Notes. (Turns out the keys that the Notes example project used were already there, I did not use my own. I was wondering about that.)
I downloaded the Sync API Android SDK as a zip. I put its unzipped folder where I knew I could find and copy its lib folder. (Note to self: I should put that SDK where I have my other Android SDKs so I can find it easier. I’ll do that.)
Getting the Notes example project into my Eclipse/Android was easy. I downloaded the Notes project as a zip, and put that unzipped project where I could easily find it. Then in Eclipse, I navigated to and imported the Notes project just as the instructions said: File -> New -> other -> Android project from existing code, then click the import into your workspace checkbox, and do the import.
I copied and pasted the Dropbox lib contents from the Dropbox SDK into my Notes project lib folder. Then I refreshed the project. Just like the Dropbox instructions told me. Worked fine.
I did not have to paste in the required permissions or the activities and services into AndroidManifest.xml; they were already there.
GLITCH. I ran into a little glitch. Errors in the Notes project about libraries not being supported. So I googled. I found some nice advice to right-click my project and select Android Tools -> Add Support Library. I added the support library that was suggested. The errors went bye-bye. I got that advice at the following URL.
I ran the project in my emulator using a 4.0.3 virtual device. The Notes app came up. I connected to my Dropbox, and I created a simple note. Worked like a charm.
P.S. I have had a Dropbox account for some time. I needed that to run the Notes app, of course. I use my Dropbox to sync my Storyist-written novel and short story between my MacBook and iPad. Lots faster than going through iTunes, and it gives me a nice backup on the web.