I use iSyncr to sync my Samsung Galaxy S3 with my iTunes music on my MacBook pro.
I use PowerAmp to play my music on my phone. A lot of the album art was missing.
I was using PowerAmp’s method to fill in missing art: press on a song missing art while it plays until art choices appear. This method is not so great. Does not always find the art I want.
So I connected my phone via USB and opened up Android File Transfer (which you need for file transfer from a Macintosh to a Samsung Galaxy S3, and for anyone using Android OS 4 or higher).
I clicked the Card tab, since I have iSyncr sync my music to my 32 gig SD card instead of my 16 gig phone. On the card, I opened the syncr folder.
Then I went through every folder, arranged by artist folders containing album folders. The album folders (which contain the music files) were of three types:
- The album folder contained a file called AlbumArt.jpg. That was the album art.
- Or it contained a file named albumart.pmap. I suspect these albums are the ones that I tried to fill using PowerAmp.
- Or it contained no album art files at all.
If the folder did not have AlbumArt.jpg, I did the following steps in iTunes.
I opened my music and clicked the tab to display the artists. (Actually, I did this once.)
Under that artist, I clicked on the album art in iTunes that had no corresponding art on my phone. Then I control-clicked a song in the album and selected Get Info. (You can control-click the art, but then you get a window asking if you want to edit all the songs in the album, so Get Infoing the song skips that step.)
Then I clicked the Artwork tab to show the artwork for that song (and for the album). I then drag-and-dropped (copied) that art to another folder that I created as a temporary folder.
The art shows up in my temporary folder as (album name).jpg. Then I dragged that jpg (I did not have to rename it) into the Android File Transfer window and into the corresponding album folder. If there was a albumart.pmap file there, I deleted it.
Then I went on the phone, and in PowerAmp, again I played a song in the album and opened the art selection by putting my finger on the art until I saw my art choices. I selected In Folder art.
(Note: there were also a couple of folders like the Compilations folder, with album folders in it. In that case, I had to open the Albums tab in iTunes to find the album and songs.)
That’s it. It took a while. But not so bad once I got the hang of it.
Note: A few times,it was tricky to get the album to show the art; in Mallrats, I had to pick the artwork in PowerAmp from a song with Jason Mewes name. Maybe there is a lesson there about being a motormouth. Or rather, make sure I select a song that matches the artist name showing for that entire album.
ANOTHER NOTE: THIS TOOK A LONG TIME! There were over 100 pieces of art, and it took hours to do. This does work, but I would like to have found a faster way. I am unlikely to look for it right now since I have other projects to do.